HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Frightened in the forest.......
View Single Post
Old 01-06-2004, 03:28 AM
Gobbling Buck
Typical Buck

Default RE: Frightened in the forest.......

I guess I should start this off...... When I was a kid, my dad and I used to go frog gigging. We were on the Sulfer River in NE Texas and had gone about 10 or 12 miles up the river when one of the guys in the party had gotten sick (due to a bit of over indulgance) and we decided to pull the boat on a sandbar and build a fire while waiting for him to regain his composure. While we were there, the other guy in our party of 3 1/2 spotted what appeared to be eyes at the edge of our fires light. Well, me being a 9 year old boy, I visioned many different boogers that may have come to the light to investigate the intrusion. My dad being the invinsible man that I'd always looked up to went to investigate, I grabbed a 4ft boat paddle and followed like a good son. Anyway, after a thorough look see, we found some fresh bobcat tracks in the muddy bank and came to a conclusion that was what we'd seen. As the 4 of us started back towards the fire, my dad decided he'd test everyones fight or flight reflexes and imitated the squal of a bobcat. The first 2 guys, took off in flight towards the fire and me, being armed with a 4ft boat paddle, couldn't let anything get my dad. So out of pure fear, I took a Mark McGuire swing at the source of the noise only to hit my dad flat across the chest abruptly stopping the sound. (As well as his normal breathing rate for the next 10 minutes) The real fear came when I realized that I'd just struck my dad and thinking of the possibility I may be the next victim of the boat paddle. My dad said he couldn't punish me for doing what came natural, but he has never tried testing my fight or flight reflex since. We laugh about it now, but it sure wasn't funny at the time.