HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Gun vs Optics
View Single Post
Old 01-05-2004, 11:11 AM
James B
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Gun vs Optics

Prettty simple answer here. You need your scope and gun to perform whatever task you need performed. The best scope in the world will not make a bum rifle shoot well and of course the best rifle on earth will not perform with less that adequate sighting system. That won't get the job done either. There is no magic number of dollars that will quarentee that you have it made. There are many good scopes from 100-200 dollars that will offer many years of trouble free service. I have used most all of them at one time or another. When I buy a Remington 700. Ruger 77, Browning A bolt ,Tikka , Savage or Model 70, I expect any of them to give at least good hunting accuracy when topped with any of the better scopes of almost all brands. I have had perfect service from Bushnell banner and better scopes. Tasco World Class and better scopes. Swift and the better Simmons have also never let me down in any way. It makes sense to buy the best gear that your wallet will let you buy. To me it is also senseless to spend many dollars more that I need to spend for good Optics. IF Leupold or one of the other high dollar scopes were the only optics that would do the job then they could demand any price they wanted Thank goodness that is not the case. have got by very well spending two thirds of my gun money for the rifle and a third for the scope. I won't spend more unless I have to.