HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - maxi hunters...
View Single Post
Old 01-04-2004, 02:01 PM
cayugad
Dominant Buck

Default RE: maxi hunters...

Mauser06 to be honest, don't over look a round ball for knockdown power. Unless your shooting over 85 yards, that round ball will take them out. After 85 yards they can still do it, it is just most would not recommend it. That is still a 1/2 inch hole your knocking through them. And they are cheap to shoot and a lot of fun, and actually very accurate.

I took three this year with round ball. Not one of them went more then 45 yards after being hit. Two of them were between 50-60 yards and the last one was about 45 yards. The only reason the one ran so far was the ball shattered a rib and then followed the rib up into the spine.. The important thing is shot placement as is with anything we shoot. You hit a rib bone going in and that round ball will flatten a little making a nasty hole through anything in it's way.

Actually I like hunting with round ball. I also like trying new projectiles which is why I understand you wanting to try conicals. I am ordering 2 new molds for the .50 caliber, a 320 grain Conical and a .452 diameter 300 grain flat nose bullet for sabots. We will see how they shoot... Have fun out there, that's what it is all about...