HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - GPS or Compass, which do you prefer?
View Single Post
Old 01-04-2004, 09:00 AM
elknut1
Typical Buck

Default RE: GPS or Compass, which do you prefer?

BJ

I've noticed some of your comments in the past indicate you hunt very open terrain and probably it's a place you've hunted most your born days. Well I too hunt this same area now for 13 years, I feel I know it pretty good. But by god most the time you can't see out worth a dang. If you hit an elk in this country and he's down there's a very good chance you ain't going to return to it without some sort of aid. I mean it's that thick and twisted with small steep fingers running every direction, no main draws or creeks here. I've left several bugles and articles of clothing over the years and am still yet to find them. And I've hunted this area 13yrs. Now I'm not stupid, but it seriously is that tough to find a spot you'd like to come back to, you won't do it without flagging or using a GPS. I don't use them for just getting into or out of the woods, but if I had to, I wouldn't let pride get in the way of good sense. Come over and hunt a weekend where I do, or just tag along, it'll make a believer out of you real quick. This is big roadless country, we cover 2 to 7 miles each way everyday, and yes we take an elk now and then, and it's sure nice to be able to go back and find them without flagging.
Better yet maybe I should head over your way and hunt some of that open country where apparently it's a lot easier to negotiate. No horses though! elknut1

akbound

I see where you're coming from, and you make some good points. I'm just not one to concern myself with trivial things like what if I forget it or lose it, etc. elknut1