HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - GPS or Compass, which do you prefer?
View Single Post
Old 01-03-2004, 12:33 PM
ELKampMaster

Default RE: GPS or Compass, which do you prefer?

Compass rides in the bottom of a vest pocket.

GPS does all the work.

Use Topo! to print your maps and you can have your waypoints all printed on the map and you can put your hunting area right in the middle of the map instead up at the corner where 4 maps come togehter.

For elk hunting where you frequently travel miles both ways in the dark there is little comparison. If a blizzard occurs or your horizon is reduced to near zero there is also little comparison. GPS is better.

On mine there is ample warning the batteries are going low plus it will simply shut off before running out and losing the information. Our GPSs, Petzl Headlamps, minimags, and radios ALL run on the same AA batteries. We carry a full set of spares and batteries are NEVER a problem. You can change out the batteries and NOT lose the information.

Compasses are not impervious to damage, if you have ever had some of the liquid leak out to where the air bubble under the bezel is too large then you know what I mean. My boys and I each carry a GPS usually with only one on at a time. If one gets damaged (has never happened) then there is plenty of back up. I have dropped it on rocks and had the horse (shod) clip it with its foot and send it rolling with no problem except scratches -- takes a licking and keeps on ticking. I have also dropped it into water, picked it up, shook it off and continued on with no problem.

If you ever get an elk down if heavy cover in an unfamiliar area OR if you drop your back pack and sprint for an interception opportunity, then the GPS waypoint system is truly heartwarming as you will be able to return to thoses spots fearlessly.

Best part about GPS over "compass only" is when you get back from exploring an area you can down load your waypoints into the mapping software and see where you REALLY went instead of where you THOUGHT you went, an entertaining difference.

EKM