HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Hunting with hounds?
View Single Post
Old 01-02-2004, 03:11 PM
deerdust
Super Moderator

Default RE: Hunting with hounds?

Where I deerhunted last was in northern Arkansas. It had been made illegal to hunt with dogs, except in certain areas. Most all the folks that did use dogs before the law was passed, still do. What I always hated about it, was that they turn them loose, without tracking collers or any way of getting them back. These dogs just ran loose all season chasing deer, starving, and getting into folks stuff for the most part. We would quite often find them outside our door eating from the food we put out for our animals. I have never hunted deer with dogs, but under the right conditions wouldn't mind giving it a try. I did, for the first time hunt hogs last weekend with the use of dogs, and they were on tracking collars. There would have been no way to keep track of them and hunt the hogs without the use of the collers. There may be some who think it is an unethical way to hunt them, but the thrill of sticking a 300 lb. hog with a knife was,, was,, well it was just awesome. Hard to describe the thrill of being that close to a hog that could take you out and send you to the hospital in a heartbeat.