HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Traditions PA Pellet flintlock??
View Single Post
Old 12-30-2003, 05:03 AM
PA Hardwoods

Default RE: Traditions PA Pellet flintlock??

Hey PABeardBuster, I just bought a Traditions PA Pellet Flinter this past year at Grice's in Clearfield for $189. It is the blued barrel with a wooden stock. I was very impressed with the stock a very nice selection of wood with no tooling marks like you get with some guns and a very nice finish. I am shooting 100 grains of Pyrodex pellets out of mine with 295 grain hollowpoint powerbelt bullets. I have a box of 260 grain Buffalo Bullet Maxi-Ballets to try but have not had a chance. Mine shoots great with pyrodex pellets no delay at all. I always make sure to prime my touch hole once or twice then fill the pan 1/2 full of powder. I did find that the 5/8" flints that traditions recommend are a little too short so I tried the 3/4" english flints and they give me a great spark with a fit in the jaws of the lock much better than the 5/8". They also produce a better arc when striking the frizzen, what I mean is the flint strikes the frizzen high so that it maintains contact with the frizzen longer giving more spark. A few things I don't like about the gun, first I hate the plastic sights, I will be changing mine with an aftermarket set made of some sort of metal but still with fiber-optics. RMC and true-glo make some that fit on the PA Pellet for about $30. I also was not crazy about the touch hole. You remove it with a regular flathead screwdriver and if your not careful you can mess it up taking it out and putting it back in like me. So I bought an aftermarket touch hole made by RMC that uses and allen wrench to remove it and I like it much more, It only runs about $5. Overall it is a pretty good gun for the money, It fact it has performed flawlessly for my this year so far, In fact I got my first deer with a flintlock this past saturday, a nice doe at 50 yards. So I don't think you can go wrong with this gun.