HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - ultramags help a hunter out!
View Single Post
Old 12-27-2003, 06:23 PM
stubblejumper
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: ultramags help a hunter out!

I have two 300 ultra mags.a 7mmultramag and two 7mmstw's.The 300 ultramag offers an advantage in flatter trajectory and reduced wind drift over the 300win mag that only comes into play when the ranges approach 400 yards or more.But in order to utilize the advantage that it offers you must spend considerable hours of your time and considerable expense in ammunition shooting hundreds of rounds per year practising in order to develop and maintain the shooting skills necessary for precision shooting at 400 yards and beyond.At this point I should mention that the ultramags have noticeably shorter barrel lives than the standard magnums.If you are only going to shoot a few boxes of ammo per year or don't have access to a 500 yard rifle range you would be far better off with the 300winmag as the 300ultramags advantages will be wasted.The same comparison can be made between the 7mmremmag and the 7mmstw with the same results.The 7mmultramag is actually a waste of the ultramag case as it gains very little velocity over the 7mmstw.In the case of my rifles it is only 50fps to 75fps more and to get that small gain you burn a lot of extra powder and shorten the barrel life even more.As I said earlier if you are willing to make the committment to put in the extra practise time and expense the 300ultramag and 7mmstw would be fine choices.If not I would recomend that you go with the 7mmremmag or 300winmag.