HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - ultramags help a hunter out!
View Single Post
Old 12-27-2003, 06:03 PM
Danny45

Default RE: ultramags help a hunter out!

The ultra mags will do everything you want to. But at a heavy price. Have you seen those cartridges?? My shoulder hurts just looking at them, and my wallet hurts looking at the price of a box of 20.

Now, if the UM's are the only thing you're considering, then further postings are unneccessary. Either the 300UM or the 7MMUM will do what you want.

But, for a lot less money, and a lot less punishment, a 30-06 will do everything you've mentioned too. Plus, ammo is much more readily available out on a hunt. You can stop at just about any mom and pop's country store and find 30-06 ammo should the need arise. 150 grain loads will take any deer size game out to 300 yards and beyond. 165 will also, and handle larger animals such as mule deer, bear, etc. 180 grains for Elk, and 220 grains for Moose and dangerous bears. All in one rifle.

If you have to have a magnum, then I'd settle for a 7mm Remington Magnum or a 300 Winchester Magnum. Ammo is much easier to find than the UM's and cost alot less. I see no real world advantage to the UM's over the standard belted magnums. In fact, I think the Short Magnums are a better deal than the UM's. Why? Because you can get equal ballistics to standard magnums in a short action rifle. I foresee them outlasting the UM's in years to come. Pick up a good reloading manual and compare the ballistics and I think you'll see some of what I'm talking about as far as any advantages the UM's have over the standard or short magnums.

Good luck to you on your choices.