HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - ultramags help a hunter out!
View Single Post
Old 12-27-2003, 05:40 PM
bucksnbeagles

Default ultramags help a hunter out!

I'm new at this forum so please bear with me. I'm in the process of buying my first magnum rifle. I live and hunt in southern Indiana where we can only use a slug gun, smoke pole or arrow. I have no problem with using any of these weapons and feel they have made me a better hunter. So as you all can see I had no use of a hi po, until now. I went on a pronghorn hunt a couple of years ago in Wyoming and took a 14" buck with a 7 mm STW at 296 yards. I seen a lot of game and am very anxious to go back. This time I want to pusue a muley. I seen a few but with a little homework I believe I can get myself into a good area.
I need a caliber that is going to give me the best all around performance. On down the road the lord willing I would like to Elk, Black Bear, and Caribou hunt. I'm really looking at the ultra mags. The 300 um seems very capable of doing everything I need but the 7mm um seems a little more like me. I am also wondering if I would be better off with a 7mm REM MAG or even the 300WIN MAG. Thats the calibers that I come up with and have gotten all my info from Remington ballistics charts. I can sure use some hands on info. I narrowed the gun down to a Remington 700 BDL synthetic with a stainless barrel. I will top it with a Leupold vari x lll 3x9x40. Please if anyone has any suggestions or comments I would deeply appreciate it. Also on another note what kind of groups should I be expecting to achieve with this set up. Any and all info will help.