HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Alfalfa Question
View Single Post
Old 12-22-2003, 07:53 AM
greg-dude

Default RE: Alfalfa Question

I have no experience using alfalfa as a foodplot, but plenty growing it as a hay crop. Here's some things I think you may need to be aware of before you plant it.

1) Alfalfa is pretty particular about soil pH more so then some other legumes.

2) Alfalfa needs relatively good soil to persist a number of years.

3) It will need to be mowed a number of times during the growing season to maintain a lush desirable growth. Otherwise it's growth will become stemming and the plant itself will go into a seeding stage. There may be problems with mowing if the clippings are thick enough to choke out regrowth. With a hay crop, the cuttings are removed.

4) Alfalfa has problems with insect infestations in the spring (weavil). To get a commercial crop out of it, it needs to be sprayed. For food plots, a mowing may be okay to eliminate the infestation.

5)Grass will become a problem in Alfalfa just like in any other type of legume. Personally, I think grass is more of a problem with alfalfa then in other legumes due to the fact of the clump nature of alfalfa and the speed in which alfalfa plants die.

These are just some of the things that I can think about that you need to be aware of. I am not telling you not to plant it, just be aware of the potential problems. I think it will take more maintenance then other legumes. Deer were thick in my fields of it.