HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - my buddys gun....
View Single Post
Old 12-21-2003, 09:59 PM
mauser06
Giant Nontypical

Default my buddys gun....

my friend has a tc thunderhawk or something like that...its an inline...a few years old...his dad bought it for him just for fun i guess..or maybe to hunt out of state or something...well he shot it maybe a few times....he couldnt remember the last time he shot it...well i was in his gun cabinet today and pulled it out to play with it..never played with an inline...well i went to pull the bolt back..couldnt....it was RUSTED shut!!!!! i never laughed so hard...he had to beat it open...he was going to put it back and forget about it..hes not a muzzleloader....doesnt know much about them at all..he didnt really care...i talked him into trying to fix it some or atleast seeing if its fixable with new parts...we let it soak in oil(doesnt matter he wont shoot it for a long while anyway..) then took it apart....the whole nipple was RUST...the front of the bolt...all rust....he didnt know if the breech plug(think thats whats in the barrel wehre the nipple goes into) comes out...i dont even know...im a flinter myself....so i couldnt get a good look of the bore...the end was fine but down in looked like it may been bad too...i asked him how he cleaned it.....hes like oh..just like any gun...ran some oil patches through and a brush and then dry patches and put it away.....i told him thats not a good way to clean a muzzleloader and told him the black powder did that...he said...you know me..im a rifle shooter i dont know anything about these things.....i laughed some more and told him if he wants to get serious ill teach him to clean it....i scrubbed alot of the rust off...needs a new nipple...the inside of the action had some pitting and rust i couldnt get off and the bolt was the same way....new bolt and nipple it might be ok....i dont know though....i dont know much about inlines...heck i dont even know if i called the parts the right names..i learned the value of cleaning a muzzleloader properly.....i really didnt think it was THAT bad....it was crazy...there was a mesuerable amount of rust on all the metal....it took a while justto get the bolt out....it would barely move.....CLEAN YOUR SMOKE POLES guys!!!!!