HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Core-Loct fails me again!
View Single Post
Old 12-21-2003, 10:41 AM
JagMagMan
Giant Nontypical

Default Core-Loct fails me again!

Well, Core-Locts have failed me again! For the last time! I will be using something else next year.
That makes twice this season that the CL's have dissapointed me. This time the shot was about 80 yards, about the same as the last one was.
Except this time the deer ran a lots further, through a thick pine plantation, full of briar!
I am using the 150 grain CL's in a 7MM Rem mag. I knew that I had made a decent shot, but I didn't find any blood. At first I thought I made a gut shot, and was going to be in for a long evening of tracking, and I figured I'd never find anything! After trampling the pine thicket, I found a little sign and about twenty yards later, there he lay! It was not a gut shot, but a double lunger!
This is the second time that the CL has failed to expand, leaving no blood to trail. As I said the shots were both about 80 yards. With my .308, I have never had this problem, I am wondering if the 150 CL's in 7MM RM are just going to fast at that distance to expand? I was very lucky to recover this deer at all!
Has anyone else had this problem with the 7MM RM Core-Locts? Also, does anyone have a good recommendation of bullets that will expand and preform well on deer in 7MM RM?