HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - (UPDATE)Antlers fell off of a 210lbs 9-point I just shot last day of the season??
Old 12-20-2003, 04:08 PM
thecallman

Default RE: Thanks for the Link Skeeter.

we have a farm we hunt every year in PA the last 3 deer i have taken the first day of buck season dropped thier horns on impact of the bullet i shoot a .308 winchester model 88 no cannon this was before AR started in PA we also had a monster buck was a 12 point this bow season has a white patch on his left shoulder easy to notice him every year i see him the first week of gun season he has no antlers gone shed after some research i found out deer pushed due to stress can lose thier antlers this i also found out was genetic this big buck for 3 years was breeding most of the does thats why the bucks we have taken kept losing horns early. one of the other guys took one this year we took it by the antlers to drag it out they both fell off before we got to the truck. the old buck with the white spot did not make it this year he was taken as a doe we are trying to get a rid of the deer that lose antlers early this should solve the problem I can not prove exactly why it happens i am no biologist but i can tell you from experince it is happening. next year we will see how the antlers hold up.