HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Defining fair chase....
View Single Post
Old 12-18-2003, 11:51 AM
skeeter 7MM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Defining fair chase....

Charlie P that is not only outrageous it is illegal! Having worked in the outfitting business for many years I can tell you no matter how big a tip I wouldn't do this. They pay big bucks to hunt the frozen land for a trophy buck, I wouldn't be doing my job by robbing them of the enjoyment/pleasure of harvesting their DEER. I am not saying your friend is wrong persay but I would question his ethics and morals(I would also have a few question for the outfitter in which he works for). If you come to hunt you better be able to make it happen, you also better not expect to be going home with a hawg...it ain't true they are tied up behind every tree...it takes dedication, hardwork, excution and good old fashion luck. Again just my opinion!

Fair chase is really in the mind of the hunter. To me I think it is hunting a animal in his own turf with no boundries & no assurances that you'll even see a deer much less harvest the deer. I have tried the fence gig on occasion for boar, buffalo and it was just a kill/meat for the table. We don't have the operation you all have down their, the ones up here that cater to the same clients is pick your animal, pay the price and shoot your prize...to me that isn't really fair chase or how I would define hunting in my world. But I don't fault those who make a living or even those who choose to hunt this way. I will never say it is the same but in the same breath will never say it is wrong. I value the experiences, enjoyment and memories I get out of hunting. The harvest is a reward to the effort and certainly not a given, thus my opinion and choice.

Everybody is different, as long as they are happy then all the power to them.