HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - QDM
Thread: QDM
View Single Post
Old 12-16-2003, 02:38 PM
skeeter 7MM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: QDM

First of all get the total numbers to within the land carrying capacity. Get your buck and doe ratio in check aim for a realistic number which maybe 2:1 or 3:1, etc for the given property/area. Finally limit your buck harvest to mature bucks vs rack size, you may have a min standard of 8 points but that doesn't always equal good management. As you may have a 2 year old sporting a better rack than a 4 year old, one is mature and the other is immature. By harvesting the lesser rack but mature deer your providing a better gene pool for the area and also ensuring next year you'll have a mature deer with even larger horns. Don't think if I don't take him I will never see him, as long as he survives/breeds he is doing more in the herd than out at this point. Maturity is the key, always nipping off the 2-3 year olds will never get you to where you want to be. Taking a lesser rack may be part of the parcel but in a year or 2 it will be the norm to take a good quality mature racked animal, which will lead to more trophy class animals.

It ain't easy let me tell you I have let a lot of 31/2 year old bucks walk that meet my min in score but lack the maturity, only to end up taking a old deer on the downslide or a mature doe but if your after QDM this is what it takes. BTW I hunt on public land, so it is never an assurance that the deer I passed will ever make it to next year or it's full potential but if he breeds a few does his genes will be passed on and I feel that is solid QDM for my area.