HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Nice 9
Thread: Nice 9
View Single Post
Old 12-15-2003, 10:02 AM
lhook7

Default Nice 9

Here are a couple of pictures of a nice nine point I took in Hebbronville, TX this weekend. I saw him on my second afternoon of hunting and passed because of the broken tines. That night the outfitter showed me a mount of his that had had a broken tine and a taxadermist had repaired and it looked like natural. I decided if I got another shot at him I was going to take it.

The following day I spent all day in my blind and he finally made his appearance at 5:20 pm. I watched him for a few minutes and decided to go ahead and shoot him. According to my range finder he was 173 yards from me. I aimed my rifle and waited for him to present a good shot. He turned to his left giving me a broadside shot; I aimed at his shoulder and my cell phone, which I had in my left breast pocket set on vibrate, started vibrating. My phone vibrates five times then goes to voice mail. When it stopped vibrating, I again aimed at his shoulder and the damn phone started vibrating again letting me know a message had been left in my voice mail. When it stopped vibrating this time I centered my crosshairs on his shoulder and shot. He dropped in his tracks.

His stats are as follows: live weight: 185#, inside spread: 17.5", age: 6.5 or older. I did not score him because his left G-2 is broken off just above the base and the right G-3 is broken off about half way up; if these were intact, I think he would score in the 130 range. I'm going to take him to a taxadermist this week and have the tines repaired and get him mounted.

PS. When I checked my voice mail it was my girlfriend wishing me luck on the hunt.