HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Question on a deer I hit.
View Single Post
Old 12-11-2003, 02:09 PM
skeeter 7MM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Question on a deer I hit.

I suspect he took his dolls and went home. Really is to bad since he is new member, we gave it to him he felt the heat and may never return. We have all made bad shots, poor desicion I am sure, it is easy to say why did you...blah, blah, blah. However if he learned from the experience and admits to making a mistake well that is also part of the sport. Blaming the equipment was wrong I agree, shooting 4 unlikely times at the deers arse after paunching him on a broadside not smart, poor tracking skills and so on. To me it appears he is relatively inexperienced just due to his thinking and handling of the situation...ignorance is one thing but lack of experience well how do you get it without making a few mistakes. To bad but it is part of the sport, guys miss, guys wound and guys don't always find...best we can do is say hey try this, show errors in thinking or practice and hopefully they learn. You know I have seen a number of posts on deer taken my members that reference poor shots but they harvested or found the game...so not everyone make solid decision but some are better at following up on. I bet it is experience that helped get some of those deer and they would admit to a poor shot not equipment failure. I agree bernie or his party didn't have enough to keep on the task immediately....hopefully that will not be the case from now on and he learned a very tough/valuable lesson. The same lesson that I am sure we have all learned, I know I have made poor decision which resulted in a poor outcome that is how you assess a situation and make the decision based on your abilities to ensure a positive outcome.

Not to say I side with him one bit or am against what any of you have said, just remember it is easy to point and soap box after years of experience, etc. If a hunter admits to their mistakes chances are they have learned something and gained experience to change the circumstance in the future. If they keep making the mistakes well then they should get the shaft, cuz obviously they don't give care enough or are humble enough to admit wrong doing.