HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - help with european mount
View Single Post
Old 12-11-2003, 11:49 AM
skeeter 7MM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: help with european mount

Like other have said only tips I can add are:

I use a flat head srew driver to remove the hair around the pedicles.
Wrap the bases of the antler and up in tin foil to protect from steam, heat and whitening solution.
I use a pair of needle nose pliers to remove the cartlidge in the nose(just push and pull) & before I boil I use a 6" nail in the brain stem to mush and loosen the brain, this will cause the brain to boil out during the cook/meat removal phase.
I use a boning knife (but a fillet knife will work to) to remove the eyes in tact, just cut around and pry lightely..it takes some time but it will come out in one piece.
To make things go quicker remove as much meat as possible!
Do this process outside!!!!!!! Not the best smelling task and if you have a wife or live in you may never have the same relationship again--doesn't really create a mood a women likes

BTW, I just tried the powder bleach/peroxide 40% solution on a bear skull and boy did that work well. I made a paste and left it sit for a 2 days...hosed it off and revealed a wonderful white product. I liked it so much that I have now found my new way to whiten the skulls, beats stringing up a harness to hold the antler out of the bleach solution! Thanks for the tip, I learnt on here.