HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - My first time hunting - couple questions
Old 12-10-2003, 12:29 PM
Tomster

Default RE: My first time hunting - couple questions

Eric,

Welcome...I too hunt in Northeast PA and when I started hunting I did not get many deer these either. I would see deer during the rut and Archery season, but when Rifle came, nothing. It is wasy to get frustrated but you do get better with time and effort.

I do a combination of tree stand hunting and still or blind hunting. I usually break up my hunts between morning and evening. Morning is before sun up till 10-11 am. Then I go home warm up and do an evening hunt from 2 pm - after sun down. Usually these hunts are not in the same location. Most of the deer I get are in the evening hunt, in a funnel area near a lake and swamp.
I am lucky in that I have multiple location to hunt in.

I mention these things because I feel if you need do multiple things, something will hit. Look for where the deer are feeding or where they are bedding. Look for tracks in the snow, look for funnel areas where multiple lanes come together. Don't look for that big buck and go for the does. There are many does out there you just need to find out where they are. I know a guy that goes to one area, climbs a tree and waits. He hasn't shot a deer in 3 years. I have shot many deer over these last few years.

I live near associations where deer can not be hunted. Deer will go into these areas but some will come out. Find out where... Public lands are tough to hunt on and are over hunted.

Scouting is an important feature to hunting and now is a good time to do it. Also you could take up muzzleloading, flint, which will add several weeks to your hunting, 1 week in October and over 2 weeks in late Dec - January.

Good luck.... you still have untill sundown Saturday to get a deer. You can't get one from the computer!