HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Fish and wildlife technician?
View Single Post
Old 12-09-2003, 09:42 PM
JoeA
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Fish and wildlife technician?

In some states there is overlap, but usually the jobs are segregated; wildlife or fisheries. You can tip the balance towards your interest by the courses you take in school. (I'm a looong time fan of the "ichs & herps"; fish, reptiles & amphibians-basically the really cool stuff, but I'm biased)

One piece of advice to help you...take the chemistry, especially the organic chemistry classes. Many wildlife techs (I've known several) get stuck becasue they don't have the chem background to apply for biology positions. You may be hapy with the tech work, but the biologist jobs can encompass all that and you'll be more upwardly mobile.

I don't want to sound like a high school job councilor, but..I do work in the field so to speak.(comm. marine fisheries stuff) Take the organic chem, the calculus (ugh!) and database mgt stuff. Some course work in environmental toxicology and monitoring can do wonders. I know a guy who sampled fish for PCB's, and not all the fish were collected with a net. Get the hint