HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - OK...so what's the best mid range scope?
Old 12-09-2003, 08:53 AM
Superpig
Typical Buck

Default RE: OK...so what's the best mid range scope?

I have a Bushnell 4200 2.5-10X40mm. I have been a Leupold fan in the past for all of my Hi-power rifles and muzzleloaders. I have a 3.5-10 Vari III on my 280 and an 2.5-8 Vari III on my Knight muzzleloader. I had been neglecting my 257 Roberts for awhile so I thought I would replace the old Leupold Vari-X II 4-12 w/AO. I began looking through several scopes and was amazed at the clarity and brilliance the Bushnell provided. I compared to the scopes you have mentioned. My choice came down to the Bushnell or the Zeiss Conquest 3X9. I bought the Bushnell for $309.99 plus tax. The Zeiss cost $389.99. I would have had no problem paying the extra, but I didn't think you were getting extra. After purchasing the scope I took it out and tested it. My 257 is a tack driver with 100 gr NBT's and H4831. When i dialed in 3" of elevation and 3" of windage the bullets moved that amount. I continued until I had drawn a box on the target. So, if the scope I got was not some abberation, I think I will be trying more Bushnell Elite 4200's in the future. In my opinion the Bushnell is brighter than the two Leupold's that I own. The Leupold does have more eye relief.