HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - as the season draws to a close
View Single Post
Old 12-08-2003, 07:50 AM
NY Bowhunter
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: as the season draws to a close

Like I said on the other post like this. I'm guilty as charged. I think it's just an accumalation of soooooooooooooo many hours in the woods between scouting, stand location,etc.......
Then bowseason comes and I'm in a tree from sunrise to sunset everyday. After bowseason I see myself going out of the woods at 11:00 and back in at 2:00 for the first week of gun. As the weeks of gunseason go on it gets progresively worse. I start getting discouraged and find myself doing a lot of still hunting and not being able to stay on stand very long. The last week of gun seems like an excersise in futility.
I know this attitude sucks and is not doing me any good. It's something I've battled and trying to work on. The hardest part of it for me is simply the amount of deer that I see during bow and then during gun. It's like flicking a switch. I do try and learn something on every hunt, but it's tough to pick up any knowledge when you're not presented with any situations. I guess the only thing I try to learn is their pattens by still hunting which turns into more of a scouting mission for next season.
So I guess I go from hunting as hard as humanly possible at the begining to not hunting very well by the end.