HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - 2023 Idaho Spring Turkey down.
View Single Post
Old 04-16-2023, 05:51 PM
jnicholes
Fork Horn

Default 2023 Idaho Spring Turkey down.

Hi everyone, I decided to go up North Idaho for a general spring turkey hunt. I haven’t hunted turkey in years, so I decided to try it again.
I decided to make it extra challenging by using my traditions .54 caliber blunderbuss.
I left on the 13th of April, and drove all the way to North Idaho. On the 14th, I visited an old friend of mine, who gave me permission to hunt her property for turkey. She said “I have two big Toms and multiple Jakes that come by every day. Try to take one.”

On the 15th, when the season opened, I got there at 5:30 AM PST. I loaded 80 grains of powder and 60 grains of #4 shot into the blunderbuss. I also had two over powder wads and one over shot wad.

After about eight hours of sitting in the blind, I finally spotted my target. Two really big Jakes came by.

When one got close enough, I was able to take it. One shot with the blunderbuss, and the turkey went down. Clean kill.

On further examination, I discovered that a majority of the pellets either hit the head or missed completely. In fact, only one pellet hit the body of the turkey, (in the back,) nowhere else except for the head. I was very surprised. I was anticipating that some pellets would get into the breast meat.

I guess I aimed just right and had the right load.

Anyway, I am having issues uploading a photo. I don’t know what’s going on.

I hope you guys enjoyed my story/report, though.

Jared