HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Training a dog for hunting
View Single Post
Old 12-12-2022, 10:41 AM
jnicholes
Fork Horn

Default Training a dog for hunting

Hi everyone, I know what you’re thinking, I did turn away from the idea of having a hunting dog, because it would be a lot of work. However, and interesting opportunity happened. I don’t wanna pass it up now. A few days ago, my father was driving visiting customers for work. He came across a stray German shorthaired pointer. He had a collar, but no identification on it. The dog obviously had not eaten for a few days. Very skinny. After 15 minutes, he was able to gain the dogs trust, and take it to a no kill shelter.
The shelter said that he is not neutered, and he is about seven months old.
Nobody claimed the dog, so the shelter people asked if we could do a foster program to see if we could adopt it. We are doing that right now. The dogs at my house. Not officially adopted, but we’re seeing if he’s a good fit for the family.

I guess you could say he’s on probation. Anyway, his breed is a type of hunting dog. If we do end up adopting him, I might try to train him to be a hunting companion.

I have only one question about doing this. The rest of my questions were answered by a friend who offered to help me train the dog for hunting. Do you think it would be a good idea training this dog to be a hunting dog?

I’m just doing my research, trying to figure out what’s best in case we adopt him.

if you need a picture of him, I will post it. Jared.