HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Mouth calls
Thread: Mouth calls
View Single Post
Old 10-04-2022, 08:50 AM
redmag
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
You Have to practice using them. I always bend mine when I get them to have a slight curve on the top so it fits the roof of your mouth. Push it against the roof of your mouth with the thick part of your your tongue. Don't blow like you would a duck call, force the air between the roof of your mouth and the call . After a few minutes of practice you will get the hang of it. Go into the garage or somewhere out of the house or your wife will be unhappy.
I also bend my mouth calls to fit the roof of my mouth better. I have not had a problem because of the bending but have held onto calls too long and they stretch out, I first learned on a blue perfection 2 reed call way back in late 70s, I think. Lots of crazy sounds but I had time to work on it as my commutes which were about 1.5 hrs. I finally started making sounds that sounded turkey-like by saying "chuck" and forceing the sound between my call and tongue with light pressure on the call with the tip of my tongue. Once I could do that I started to string them together, chuck, chuck chuck. I don't use the mouth call as much as I once did but I use it make a cluck that some call a "bubble cluck" which is very effective. Keep practicing, it will come.