HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - BUSTED BAITING!!!!
View Single Post
Old 05-11-2022, 12:14 PM
tatonka
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
Apparently you haven't been around baiting very much. Most game land's in my state are surrounded by farm land and there are crops on game lands as well. While growing crops will attract deer and other wildlife it is not like baiting where grain and other things are placed in one spot, right where the hunter's stand is and it is more effective to drawing wildlife before the gun. I hunt wild hogs over bait, they aren't big game animals they are vermin and it is legal. My point was, if a person is unlawfully taking game they ARE poachers. For the record, I fully agree with prohibiting the baiting of deer and other big game animals , I believe it should be unlawful to bait, big game, enforcement officer or not.
You're correct...I haven't been around baiting as it is illegal in Montana. I did hunt Saskatchewan a couple years back where they bait.... Not much came in other than does, fawns, and little bucks.. Like most places, the old bucks only came in after dark. It was kind of fun, but at the same time quite boring..fun watching the deer interact but it wasn't for me.. I had never done it before and wanted to try it... I wouldn't do it again, however. In my mind, planting a two acre food plot really isn't any different than putting out some corn, grain, or whatever. People plant a small food plant from what I've read about and then set up stands so that they can hunt it regardless of which way the wind is blowing. I'm not sure of the current laws in Montana, but it was illegal to plant a food plant solely for the purpose of attracting deer... The intent had to be to harvest whatever you planted. I don't know if that has changed or not as it's really of no interest to me. I've got a few acres here that is in Alfalfa and some in crested wheat grass, but I've never shot anything on my place...more fun watching the deer even though I'm an avid hunter. I don't post what I have...anyone is welcome to hunt if they want to....