HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Black powder question
View Single Post
Old 05-09-2022, 02:30 PM
jnicholes
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by bronko22000
Probably a more authentic look would be to brown the barrel. Some guys don't do anything and "leave it in the white". But be forewarned it will rust very easily with out any oil.
Thanks for the forewarning. To be honest, I already browned it. I actually went out shooting it today for the first time. I didn’t get a video, and I have a good reason.

First, you need to know that I replaced the #11 nipple with a musket nipple. That way I could use the musket caps I already have.

Now the interesting issue, it kept misfiring. I had to remove 5 balls because it kept misfiring. I thought there was an obstruction in the nipple or something. After through examination, I discovered no obstruction. I then decided to try a different type of powder. Instead of the triple seven FFG Pyrodex powder I normally use, I used RS FFG Pyrodex powder a friend gave me. It started firing perfectly. No problems.

I can only conclude that it was the triple seven powder that was the problem. I’m still scratching my head about it, though, because that powder works fine on my in-line muzzleloader.

Regardless of the issues source, at least it’s working now, and at least I now know how to use a ball remover!

Jared