HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Gun/caliber selection for Elk
View Single Post
Old 04-11-2022, 07:51 AM
hardcastonly
Super Moderator

the expected ranges youll be likely to have a potential shot at game has a great deal of influence on the more ideal caliber/cartridge youll select,
but its consistent and accurate shot placement and use of a decent relieable projectile, that has a huge effect on rapid lethality.
my first two elk were killed with a 220 grain bullet from a 30/06 both shot at under 120 yards, it did the job,
and shot placement was precisely where I intended it to be, neither elk dropped instantly,
but neither elk made more than 30 yards from the spot shot either.
I was not impressed,with a 30/06 and swapped to a 340 wby, with a 250 grain bullet, the next elk dropped instantantly to similar shot placement.
it took a few decades, before I realized, from watching results and dresssing out game,
that theres a great many more factors to the results you get vs CALIBER OR RIFLE USED, AND SHOT PLACEMENT IS CRITICAL
Ive had excelent results with a 450 marlin, 405 grain bullet, 35 whelen and 250 speer bullet and 358 win 250 grain speer bullet,a 270 grain bullet from a 375 H&H,, obviously you don,t need the power some of the combos I used provide,
but I have complete confidence, in the results I get from decades of experience using those rifles.
but keep in mind over 45 plus years of hunting elk almost every elk I shot was at under 200 yards in heavy timber, only about 3 were shot at over 250 yards, and only one at over 400 yards, simply because where I hunt you can't see further.
Ive seen elk dropped with a 257 roberts and 6.5mm swedish mauser,
so shoot what you shoot well,and consistently accurately,
and use quality bullets with a high sectional density and youll do ok.

Last edited by hardcastonly; 04-12-2022 at 05:28 PM.