HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Gun/caliber selection for Elk
View Single Post
Old 03-29-2022, 02:15 PM
Fullbelly
Spike

Default Gun/caliber selection for Elk

First timer here with question geared towards my first elk hunt. I have 4 rifles that I adore using from punching holes in paper to hammering whitetails here in the Midwest but also suitable for larger game. The first being fully dressed at10lb Winchester model 70 in 300wm. Second would be a Benelli Lupo chambered in 30-06 coming in at 8.5lbs with 5 rounds loaded. Third is a 450 Marlin 1895M weighing a smidgen over 8lbs and lastly a Cva Scout single shot 35 Whelen also coming in at 8.5lbs.

I've never climbed 4000ft packing gear uphill both ways in the snow so I'm not sure which rifle would be best for the application. Also, never shot at game as large as Elk but all rifles mentioned blow through deer with ease so no worries in that department. What concerns me is their overall weight and the average distance most Elk are harvested. All of my rifles are accurate and usable to 200yrds. All but the 450 Marlin is good to 300yrds with me squeezing the trigger which is where I normally call it quits with any caliber on game shots. My gut tells me my 30-06 is the best option for me for all situations but my over thinking head says I need more velocity with 300wm or a bigger hole with 35 Whelen.... In all honesty I think all would work great in most situations but I want to be prepared for that once in a lifetime opportunity. Thanks for any and all advice, fellas.