HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Montana FWP .. Just a Little Rant
View Single Post
Old 03-29-2022, 06:23 AM
bronko22000
Boone & Crockett

I disagree with you in part on this Oldtimr. While I agree there were too many deer in certain areas (BTW I'm glad they went to WMUs instead of countys for issuing anterless tags) I don't agree on the way the PGC went about it. Rather than gradually increasing the number of tags over years and seeing the results they went and started issuing massive increases in tags and they got what they wanted and a lot more. The deer herd in a lot of areas were devastated. The results in the areas I hunt are easily visible. Being retired I hunt almost every day during the archery season, muzzleloader (both seasons) and rifle season except during rainy weather or when I need a rest and last year I only saw a grand total of 2 deer one being a spike buck that was not legal. I hunt exclusively public land with no agriculture. The first time in about 30 years that I got skunked.
This has resulted in a lot of discouraged hunters and a major drop in license sales. Last year, except for my hunting buddy, I didn't see another hunter during the entire archery season.
One thing I do like that the PGC did was issue a point restriction on buck. Since that came into effect I've shot more bigger buck than I've ever seen here in PA.

Last edited by bronko22000; 03-29-2022 at 06:25 AM.