HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Building a hunting kit
View Single Post
Old 03-24-2022, 07:56 AM
Nomercy448
Nontypical Buck

Don’t leave your rifles, even AR’s, packed in hard cases.

I have several “kits” which are always packed and ready with specific gear for the task. Doing so does mean I have a lot of duplicated gear which adds a lot of expense, like rangefinders, wind meters, multitools, etc, and of course, the packs themselves.

I tend to keep really small packs for this purpose. 900ci and less, typically, smaller than a typical backpack. I keep a few other packs which can accept those kits’ contents plus extra gear, for example, if I go deer hunting out of state and need extra room for extra clothes or camp gear, so I’m never stuck in any one kit.

But each kit is unique to its application. My back country elk hunting pack (Mystery Ranch 6500 + Load Sling) is specialized for that kind of hunting which can carry 12 days (or more) of supplies and all of my hunting gear. My little day pack for in-state deer hunting is basically a tactical purse (5.11 Push Pack) which only carries bare essentials for day trips into the blind/stand. My precision rifle match pack (Kifaru Tailgunner + Admin Pouch + bottle pockets) contains everything I could need with me during matches. My pistol range kit (Midway range bag) is always packed and ready to accept whichever pistol/revolver and ammo I choose and hit the range. My coyote calling kit isn’t a “pack” but is actually a Mil-surp load bearing “vest,” which has everything I could need on stands right out front where I would need it while sitting on stand, always packed and ready to grab and go.