HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - what 45acp cast bullets have you found to be effective for hunting?
Old 02-25-2022, 03:20 PM
hardcastonly
Super Moderator

hogs can be hunted the year around, in florida, but the terrain and close/ dense foliage growth,
generally almost mandate you hunt at almost bayonet ranges . many guys seem to be amazed,
I get by using a 45 acp or 357 mag on hogs. remember/keep in mind , \
even archery equipment is regularly successfully used on hogs, and
from what Ive seen for decades, locally at least, hogs rarely exceed about 140 lbs,
most are under 90 lbs, ranges are short ,targets move fast,
and you don't want to use a handgun in "SPRAY AND PRAY" mode on a hog ,
that might be inclined on discussing your lousy shot placement on your legs/calf's with his tusks, at bayonet ranges.
your average shot might be out to maybe 35 yards max in many areas if you choose to go hunt where the hogs are .
now when I originally started hunting dense cover I found the marlin lever action carbines in calibers like 357 mag or 44 mag,
or similar chambering in handguns worked, rather well.

but there's an extra sense of accomplishment using a handgun, rather than a carbine in my opinion.
contrary to what most people seem to think, you don't generally require a great deal of power in the weapon you select,
yeah, it takes some skill and experience, and yeah I found most 40-45 caliber pistols can be used.
but you do require precise shot placement. and yes at least around here, carbines like the SKS or AR15,
seem to be very well represented.\ AND used more than handguns,

but that's mostly because most people can't consistently hit a moving target out at 25-35 yards,
with a handgun, nearly as easily as they can with a carbine. as always shot placements critical

Last edited by hardcastonly; 03-05-2022 at 07:55 AM.