HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - mauser barks....
View Single Post
Old 12-06-2003, 11:09 PM
skeeter 7MM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: mauser barks....

i got the fever over the antlers and didnt think..i just shot....free hand standing...over 200yards....my bullet went just low and he took off up the hill.....DANG!! looked like a nice 8pt or so from what i could see...not huge...maybe 12 14 inch spread..nice long beams though......probally 2.5year old....
1 kid never seen a buck when deer hunting finally seen one today....a big 8pt half rack(4 on the side it had) he missed though
a big one and a little one.....thaboom! i shot the big one of course....dropped her right in her tracks.....the mauser strikes again....a nice BIG doe....everyone about crapped...it was a pretty good shot....i dropped it right infront of a kid a few years older then me....i dont know him...they were running right at him and i knew he didnt have a doe tag so i took the shot(yes it was safe.....she was pretty much between us....) he got to watch it all.....i dont think hes much of a hunter by the way the other guys talked...they didnt even know he had a liscense..and he looked kinda lost....so he got to see how its done....from the shooting to the gutting he watched it all
i wish i would got down and got a good rest on the buck....but you know...the fever gets to you and you dont think
These quotes are why you got heat about inexperience and being unsafe. Many wouldn't even consider hunting with a group of guys they don't know and not knowing if they have a license. If he didn't and the GW stopped you guys, you would be just as guilty. Missing is part of the sport we have all done it and will in the future but making statements about fever and not thinking your going to get questioned. The doe you shot you mentioned was between you and another poster, this indicates unsafe, inexperience and lead flinging. Hey you might have been excited and not meant directly between you and the other kid but it was worded in that way, I belived you folded this deer with the kid directly behind the target. Would you consider that the safest hunt you've ever been on??? Maybe in the future you should review your post and calm down some before clicking OK, it will help other who weren't there not jump to conclusions or question what they perceive as unsafe. In this case I certainly agree with what others have said and wouldn't want to be part and certainly bragging about the days events. Hey I know your young and excited but just slow down and think. If you read these quotes or your original post and think it sounds safe then you need to go back to hunting with dad and get a few more notchs in your belt.

Congrats on the meat and enjoy.