HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Elk Hunting Outfitter Advice
View Single Post
Old 02-12-2022, 06:07 AM
Oldtimr
Boone & Crockett

I will tell you this fact. If your priority is finding the cheapest outfitter, you are setting yourself up for a disaster. It is better to save up for several years to have the money for the hunt than to spend less money and be very disappointed. I am from PA and I applied for 17 years foe a PA elk tag before I got drawn. After I got over the excitement of being finally drawn the next thing I did was do do some research with Game wardens I knew in the county where I got drawn and surrounding counties and asked them who would they recommend for an outfitter for my elk hunt because if anyone knew, they did. Right after that my phone started ringing because the outfitters were at the drawing and took names of successful hunters. I already knew who I was hiring and thanked them and told them I ha made my decision on my outfitter. I saw a eld for the 1st two days but nothing that offered a shot. I had an elk tag and everything in range was bulls. On the 3rd day the planets lined up and I took a almost 700 lb cow at 7:30 am. I tagged my elk, my guide gutted her her and went to get the transportation to get her to the truck which was a Percheron horse with a sled. We got her on the truck and went to the skinning pavilion where she was immediately skinned and hung. When I left for home the next morning she was quartered and put in my truck bed by the outfitters crew. I do not regret for a second the money spent, I had an enjoyable hunt and the hard work was done for me so every memory is a good one. I also use an outfitter when I hunt wild hogs in the south.