HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - I had archery in junior high school with recurve bows.
Old 02-02-2022, 08:33 AM
jonmyrlebailey
Spike

I found this series by Mr. Vogt.

https://www.youtube.com/c/VOGTLANDOUTDOORS/videos

He is talking about string walking and the Olympic style chin anchor point for barebow archery. This uses the point of the arrow as the front sight and the left edge of the string as the rear "peep" sight. He talks about getting the bow calibrated for various yardage. The draw hand position is lowered a certain distance below the arrow nock to get the correct elevation for the range.

Bronko, have you tried the chin anchor method as well as string walking? Is the instinctive method what you you use? Is mastering instinctive shooting still the recommended way to fly? Instinctive shooting or point shooting seems to work well for handgun combat when mastered.

As an army rifleman, I became so accustomed to weapons with formal adjustable sight systems. Mil-spec iron sights, front post/rear peep. Yes, sights are almost like a crutch. With a rifle, the importance of cheek weld was stressed. I figure the bowman's anchor to be something of an analogy to the cheek weld for the rifleman. As a rifle hunter, my experience has been with a scoped centerfire rifle. Yes, scopes for rifles and even pin sights for archery bows seem like training wheels on a bicycle. String walking and chin anchor seem to be introducing a formal no-guess sighting system into barebow shooting. Mr. Vogt on his You Tube channel doesn't seem to like the notion of mere guesswork (aiming at an imaginary point in space as he says) while trying to get the arrow onto its mark in barebow archery.

I guess I could talk to the folks at my local archery shop and ask questions as you have suggested ,sir.

I'm an experienced long gun hunter and was an expert rifleman in the army. The main kick about this notion of taking up barebow archery is to get into the deer archery seasons for extra opportunity to harvest a doe for the freezer. Like a plastic bullpup ugly black rifle, the compound bow adds no warmth to my heart. A pretty wooden riser recurve bow is like a pretty blue/wood/checkered Mauser-action bolt-action rifle to my eyes.

I had archery for PE in the 8th grade. Fall of 1977. Recurve bows. Barebows. I think I could get the arrows on the target maybe half of the time at about 25 feet at age 13. I can't remember precisely what aiming methods the teacher taught it was so long ago. I never stuck with archery after that short course.