HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Best way to finish off a deer w/knife??
Old 01-27-2022, 07:48 AM
hardcastonly
Super Moderator

maybe I've just been luck, for nearly 57 years , but I can't remember ever having to "finish off" a deer or elk,

almost all were dead before I reached them, the few that were not died within a few seconds.

yeah, Ive helped finish off a few friends deer, but that was inevitably linked to less than ideal shot placement.

that may have something to do with waiting for a good shot opportunity at the games vitals and generally

using a heavy for caliber bullet and knowing the games anatomy.

and waiting until I was certain of shot placement, and yes that generally required, use of a bi-pod or decent tree branch or a rifle over a back-pack,

and generally ranges under 350 yards for rifles, 120 max yards, for handguns and 40 yards max for archery

it has little to do with caliber, power or cartridge as I've used many firearms, and even archery equipment,

I've killed elk and deer regularly.

like I've used a 44 mag revolver , 257 roberts,30/06 ,300 wby, 340 wby, 450 marlin and 458 lott,

they all worked with one shot kills, yes I've passed on making a great many shots.

yes I practice shooting targets out at 500 yards, but Ive rarely taken shots over 350 yards even when I was rather sure I could do so!

http://www.grumpysperformance.com/oc...anatomyghk.jpg

know your weapons limitations, a 257 roberts does not have the punch of a 375 H&H,

thus you limit the range and shot angles you'll accept. and wait for a better opportunity.

cartridges like a 458 lott or 450 marlin may have the power to reach out, but limits of flat trajectory suggest limiting shots to maybe 175-200 yards

Last edited by hardcastonly; 01-27-2022 at 08:01 AM.