HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Texas losing fight on feral hogs
View Single Post
Old 01-26-2022, 08:23 AM
falcon
Boone & Crockett

i have permission to hunt on a few ranches in Oklahoma: But seldom hunt those places. It's much easier to hunt hogs on our deer lease which is located on a major stream. That section of the county is over run with wild hogs. Talked with a rancher who owns 1.5 miles of property north of the Red River. He hired a professional hog trapper who took 1,500 hogs off the place. Within a month the place was again over run with hogs.

The hog population of that entire section of the county will dramatically increase in a few months. Hogs have been devouring the huge crop of pecans and are very fat. Among the hogs we recently trapped was this 250 pound sow. She was pregnant with nine pigs. Her chops are huge and delicious:

The best controller of wild hogs is severe drought. Southwestern Oklahoma was in the clutches of a severe drought from 2010-2015. i often hunt a section of wheat north of the Red River that was previously over run with wild hogs. For several years after the drought i never saw a hog on the property, they are only now starting to frequent the place.