HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Grrrr...I hate when I do stuff like this!
Old 01-14-2022, 07:04 AM
bronko22000
Boone & Crockett

Default Grrrr...I hate when I do stuff like this!

So the other day after casting some 45 caliber rifle bullets I was wondering what diameter to size them to. Someone suggested that I slug my bore and then size .001"-.003" over that. Great idea...duh!.
So, having a bunch of bullets at .451" of pure lead for my muzzleloader I decided to use them. Putting them on the anvil on my vise I tapped the base which swelled the diameter out to about .460" I got my 1895SBL out of the safe and put the nose of the bullet into the muzzle and started it down the bore with a 1/4" steel punch (with a 1/2" diameter knurled handle). Once it got started and before I got to the handle of the punch I removed the punch and used my range rod to tap the slug all the way down and out the receiver. Perfect slug.
So now my 1895 Guide Gun. Same process only this time I wasn't watching and tapped the knurled end into the muzzle!!!! CRAP. I SCREWED UP THE CROWN OF THE RIFLE.
Oh well, put the rifle into a padded vise and started filing down the muzzle until I removed the nicks and dings from the punch, smoothed the face with 600 grit emery paper and recrowned the muzzle. a 5 min job turned out to be about 90 mins.