HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Ice Fishing
Thread: Ice Fishing
View Single Post
Old 01-10-2022, 11:15 AM
Champlain Islander
Dominant Buck

Had a better day after a long walk out to a spot I saved from last year on my Fish Smart app by Humminbird. The bite started slow and I picked a few smallish yellow perch. I switched lures (we call them bibbits here) and made the drop in 12 FOW. The bibbit hit bottom and I lifted it up about 6 inches and felt a strong bite and then pulled up a 12 inch perch that weighed 3/4 of a pound. The school was under me and I pulled up a nice perch on every drop. The bibbits are basically a painted piece of lead embedded with a hook. There is no bait used and the hook doesn't have a barb so when you pull up the perch and dunk it in a bucket or on the ice it usually comes off the hook which eliminates handing the fish. You can cycle through pretty rapidly and pull up several fish in a minute. The school was large fish and after a couple hours I had filled all 3 of my pails and decided it was time to quit. I had several fish that were over a pound and ended up with somewhere around 120 pounds of nice yellow perch. My fish broker will be happy.