HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Hunt clubs destroying Chickahominy WMA
View Single Post
Old 01-05-2022, 04:01 PM
Rmp
Spike

Sure, I can't be sure if the guys arguing and acting loudly in the wood were with hunt clubs. I suspect they were, but I didn't stop and ask them. But the other idiots I saw undoubtedly were. The guy who blocked parking with his truck had a dog box and a "XXXX Kennels" decal on his back window. The guys hunting along the road and even shooting from the road were also clubbers.

Yes, WMAs are public. They are not the private playgrounds of the hunt clubs. I've seen it in Virginia for many years - they sweep into an area and run their dogs without regard to hunters who are already there. They shoot anything their dogs drive out of the woods, whether its bucks, does or fawns. I can't tell you how many dead does over the years I've seen in the back of hunt club trucks on WMAs where its illegal to harvest anterless deer. They tramp past your stand knowing you're there looking for their dogs. And if you happen to shoot a deer as a result of their drive, they think it belongs to them. They don't care that their right to hunt doesn't trump mine.

Rest assured, there is a movement in Virginia to ban hound hunting for deer. I haven't supportred that movement before, but I do now. And the sheer rudeness of the clubs I see on a regular basis is why. That ban hasn't passed yet, but the complete disregard for other hunters and private property rights is working against them. All they need to do is keep it up. They will eventually find themselves against a majoirty of hunters and land owners who wants the practice abolished. It's only a matter of time. And they will have brought it on themselves.