HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - New Hunter Needing A Mentor
View Single Post
Old 12-27-2021, 02:25 PM
JW
Super Moderator

LTH or Learn to Hunt programs.
They have been around a while and in my state i am a volunteer. I have taught Learn to Turkey Hunt and Learn to Pheasnt hunt.
This state of Wisconsin program helps new hunters learn how to hunt tjat type of game.
The LTH Turkey for instance.
The program is open to anyone from age 10 yrs to 110!
The requirements.
Be 10 yrs of age or older. If under 18 you do need a parental or guardian signature.
Never purchased a license.
And best of all this program is free! Yes free. You will get a Free harvest tag. You will be paired with an experienced mentor. The mentor has passed a state background check and has at least 5 yrs experience.
And it is Free!
You are required to attend a 4 hour training session. That is mandatory.
The class covers 4 topics. I teach 2.
I open with basic firearm safety. You will learn TAB-K and what a muzzle is.
We talk about dominant eye and basic firearm safety tips.
Then you are taught the biology of the game you are after. We usually jave a DNR Game biologist but i have aldo taught rhis. This gives you the information needed what a legal target looks like.
Then a State Game Warden teaches the rules and regulations you need to know to harvest legally. I have also taught this at times. How to read the time table. What is a legal target etc.
Lastly i get to teach rhe calls to use, how to pattern a shotgun and why, how to actually hunt a turkey as there are a few proven methods, and where to aim and shoot and why.
Then you meet your mentor. Your mentor has a good knowledge of where turkeys are. Each mentor has secured permission to take you turkey hunting! And each mentor makes arrangement where you will meet.
The last thing i require the mentor has his or her student shoot at a stationary caldwell turkey sillohette target setup at 20 yards amongst a few decoys.
This shot is with a trap load. Used because of cost and low recoil.
And the caldwell spatter target clearly shows a good killing hit as they are aiming at the head and neck
It is the closest act of mock hunting i can think of as it relates to a real occurance. And it works very well.
We do use a bipod or strapoed monopod. And we use blinds. Dome do run and gun but that is up to the mentor.

The harvest tag is FREE! The tag is good for 2 days. And if under rhe age of 17 we try to make it valid for the spring youth season.
I am blessed with over 20 people who mentor. And this program is state wide.
Usually the 1st day we might gather for a free lunch. Harvested birds i will demonstrate how to clean.
And i have a few power point programs how to save your tail and beard and make a wingbone call from your harvest.

That is a LTH Turkey as we do it.

A LTH pheasant hunt is similar. Still a 4 hr required class of Firearm Safety, Biology, State Regulations, and Mehtods to hunt. The difference we do take students to a trap range.
And the student gets to hunt behind a pointing dog and the behind a flushing dog.

Many states have these g programs.
Look for them.

JW