HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - New Hunter Needing A Mentor
View Single Post
Old 12-27-2021, 12:05 AM
CalHunter
Super Moderator

You might consider posting more about yourself. Like age (there are a lot of hunting programs geared towards youth), if anybody in your family or circle of friends hunts, what animals or birds you're interested in hunting, what part of Oregon you're in, etc. This website occasionally gets anti-hunters and other people posting for help which tends to make people suspicious of new members until they get to know them a little better. I am not familiar with the Learn to hunt program so would defer to JW on that. I did notice a possible mentor program but it is for ages 9-15.
https://myodfw.com/articles/hunting-opportunities-youth

I am familiar with Hunter Safety and would strongly recommend that, especially if you take the class in person and not just online. In a classroom setting, you will get a chance to meet other people who are new to hunting and may make connections and new friends who are also interested in hunting. The odds are that at least some of the people in any given class will have some family member(s) who also hunt. Once you pass Hunter Safety, you can buy a hunting license and begin hunting.

Best of luck and let us know how it works out for you.