HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Where's all the PA hunters?
View Single Post
Old 12-05-2021, 02:34 PM
mrbb
Nontypical Buck

IMO< yes there are a lot more archery hunters now than ever, and BIG part of it is, well warmer weather
many folks just don't like the cold
as I said , I spend a lot of time in deer processing butcher shops, and and friends with a ton of folks in large hunting clubs, add in all the farmers I talk to and friends with
and a HUGE reason IMO for not so many hunters in PA< is, sadly, MANY don't see game anymore on game lands
I hear so many folks complain there are NO deer, NO grouse, no small game, minus squirrels, which everyone seem to say there is a lot of!

like it or not, IMO< in PA< there is a HUGE difference in land quality, some places yes have lots of deer and some places have almost NONE
it comes down to food
and like it or not, many state game lands don;'t offer much in GOOD food to widlife anymore
the damages done from having TOO many deer for too long, has really effected forested lands, causing them to have little to no GOOD browse
add is so few fires anymore, and fire was a HUGE help in keeping forested land always growing new foods for things like deer and other critters!

which is WHY so many hunters in PA< talk so badly about game lands,
they rather hunt there own lands where they can make them into places wildlife strives ,
or they just won't hunt game lands
or will with a lack luster approach, not willing to put the work into things
add in all the negativity you read online about game lands being unsafe(countless folks tell how they WON"T take there kids to them to hunt out of fear of some IDIOT shooting them, even when this is far from true!)

game lands get a bad rap
yes, some do SUCK, but some are also super quality hunting for those willing to find the places!
I know OT might have an issue with em saying thisand I DON"T mean to offend him!

but I know a LOT of game wardens in PA and have for decades!
I know that of the one's that hunt, almost NONE deer hunt on game lands, they ALL hunt private lands, NOT game lands!
which IMO< sort of says something about quality of even its worker think of the game lands?
Sorry OT< just being honest!
and if ANYONE should know the best spots on game lands well, GW's should?

and truly, IMO<
forested land in PA< is in serious need of HELP I

drive about highways and just see how far you can NOW See into the woods as you drive, with little or no growth that a deer can reach and eat, yet alone be quality food for it!
FIRES are needed, but NO one will allow them, anymore, too much fear of law suits
and controlled burns was a MAJOR tool for game commission for decades, before all the layers scared them!, and why IMO< wildlife was way more abundant on game lands!

but timbering on MORE acres of game lands should be happening IMO< as that is also a great tool for the state to use to MAKE lands better for wildlife
I get on some very LARGE game lands all over PA< and I see so little timbering going on and I don't get it
IMO< win for wildlife, win for game com,mission, as they MAKE money off it!
don't get why its not used more!