HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - How long can a lung shot deer last?
View Single Post
Old 11-29-2021, 03:55 AM
Oldtimr
Boone & Crockett

I made a shot yesterday I am not proud of, a doe came running down a steep wooded hill moved by two of the guys I was hunting with. It stopped on a grass path about 40 yards away across a ravine that my stand is next to. It was behind some brush and small dead sapling's that were leaning almost horizontally. I could not see the whole deer but I could see the right shoulder. My shot was further front than I wanted and the deer took off with the front leg flopping and then ran back up the steep wooded hill it came down till it the flat and then turned broadside straight in front of my stand between two trees broadside looking back down the hill. It was about 130 yards from me but I had a clear shot and I took it. At the shot it ran. I got out of my stand and crossed the ravine to the spot where I shot. It did not look good, there was not much blood. I started tracking the blood drops to the spot where the deer ran up the wooded hill side and the blood got a little better but not much. I tracked to the flat and found where the deer was standing when I fired my second shot and there was a nice big circle of blood, I went about 10 more yards following good blood , went around a tree and there it was laying.. My second shot was where the first one should have been. The next thing I knew my brother in law walked up to me, he was one of the guys trying to move deer and helped my drag the deer down the steep hill to the road where I gutted her. When I opened up the diaphragm and reached into the chest cavity there was about a gallon of blood in it and I grabbed the heart and it was not fastened, I had shot off the top of the heart with the second shot. The deer would have died a long painful death if I had not taken the 2nd shot because I shot off the femur bone just behind the socket. I have hunted for over 60 years and have taken a lot of deer and this was the first deer that I ever fired more than one shot at . This deer was also the first game I took with my .270 that I bought about 6 months ago and the rifle I am taking to CO next Oct for Pronghorn.

Last edited by Oldtimr; 11-29-2021 at 03:57 AM.