HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - How Long Do Your Trail Cams Last?
View Single Post
Old 11-22-2021, 07:47 PM
JW
Super Moderator

I started with a very old Moultrie as a deal sweetener when i bought an inline from a fellow HNI user.
I tried it and got hooked.
I then bought a used Cuddeback.
i started in 2010.
And then i bought Moultrie 55s. Ive been running Moultries non stop. I have cameras 13 yrs old that still function.
I change batteries twice a year. I also had Moultries quit. At the best the Moultrie warranty was a sham. They won't fix a camera but will offer a discount on a new one.
Recently i stepped up to the cellular camera.
I bought 2 SpyPoint cell link which is a device that turns current trail cam into a cellular
it sorks but not that well. 100 free photos a month. I refuse to putchase a plan as the addon at 50 bucks wasnt worth it.
I jave a friend who guidrs. He has cell cameras in 3 states. A 2000 monthly cell bill.
He suggested i purchase Tactacam Reveal X.
They where sold out for quite sometime. But let me tell you it was worth the wait.
I absolutelt love the live updates on my phone and well worth the 15 bucks per month. I can turn on or off via my phone and deactivate or re up my service anytime. I was told to buy Verizon.
I like them do much i will phase all my Moultries out over time.
However
I am a bear box fan as i use them to secure my cameras and lock them down. So far ive only had one stolen
My own fault as i forgot to lock my box.
Warning.
The Tactacam metal lock boxes are pure junk. Their 3 piece design is hard to use. You cant lag screw to a tree and you must reposition the camera every time you need to service the camera.
I recently found another security box manufacturer and ordered 4 of those.
​​Frpm what i saw I'll be able to lag screw. Won't need to reposition the.camera each time and is of a higher quality metal wjich makes it more secure. Exactly what i need.
i just ordered 4 new Reveal XB. These have a GPS so if stolen I'll find them and you! Im now into the cellular trail camera era snd love it.
Warranties.
I dont hold much faith in msnufacturer warranties
Most are only good for a year. But i do research before i buy (unlike rhat tatacam teveal logo lock nox. I hot burned there
man the camera is awesome the box is junk!)

I teally enjoy my cametas. Mostly are just pictures. I havent dabbled in videos but i do have a few ot cametas rhat take a timed intervals of pictures over a wide area. So i get a timed panoramic view. Most helpful to really let me know what my food plots are doing.
JW