HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Rifle decision
Thread: Rifle decision
View Single Post
Old 11-12-2021, 09:11 PM
CalHunter
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Jweld11
I am looking to purchase a new rifle for hunting. I plan to use it mostly for deer and hogs but wouldn't mind being able to take down an elk with it too. That being said, I've recently gotten on a new lease that allows me to make shots out to roughly 700yds. I'm trying to decide if I should go with the Bergara B-14HMR, Savage 110 Tactical, or Savage GRS. Or maybe someone has a better rifle to fit my needs. I am trying to stay under $1,500.
I agree with all of the comments above. Especially the part about the rifle needs to fit you. From your above information, it sounds like you're going to use this rifle for hunting where most of your typical hunting shots would be less than 300-400 yards. You could experiment with different factory ammo to find out what's most accurate for your rifle at distances up to 700 yards or handload if it's that important to you. Or you could likely figure out how to stalk closer to the animal so you're within that less than 400 yard range. For that, any of your listed rifles would work. So would a lot of other more traditional hunting rifles (Savage, Tikka, Howa, Remington, Winchester, etc.) that are less expensive.

For elk, you'd probably want at least a 7mm Magnum or one of the 30's. If you bought a more traditional hunting rifle ($400-$800 range), you could buy a good mid level 3x9 scope for $300-$600 and a decent rangefinder and probably stay within or close to your $1500 limit. I realize I'm telling you to consider a rifle that's made for hunting but the above rifles and the many of the recommendations given so far are designed for shooting past 1,000 yards. That's why they cost more. If I've misunderstood your OP statement, please disregard this advice or opinion.

Last edited by CalHunter; 11-13-2021 at 08:55 AM. Reason: sp