HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - I'm now having a dialog with a certain OK game warden via email: dove death by Gamo
Old 10-31-2021, 01:03 PM
AlongCameJones
Fork Horn

Oklahoma allows for the death of dove by bow and arrow. How asinine! My grandfather hated the notion of even taking DEER with archery equipment let alone feathered critters on the wing. He thought scopes on hunting rifles unsportmanlike to boot. A scope on a deer rifle was seen as cheating. He thought guys who would fire a 22 at deer to be idiots. He was a proponent of BB guns and pellet guns for young American boys to have fun with. You know, that Daisy Red Ryder sort of stuff commonly shot in backyards. He was proponent of the 22 for target shooting and small game like rabbits. He told me a rifle is never used to shoot a duck: it will be blown to kingdom come if you even hit it in the air. He told me shotguns are for birds. I don't know if he would approve of air guns for dove today. He died in 1980.

It seems to me that an air gun is a highly efficient, cost-effective, livestock-friendly and landowner-friendly method to harvest dove. The OK game department might even have disdain toward the air gun for that purpose because it is possibly viewed as much too efficient in their eyes. They might see it as potential "dove decimator". It's just too easy to greatly imact the dove population rapidly with the stealthy power of air compression, so they might think. They have not seen fit to legalize it for that purpose quite yet. They might see an air gun for a dove gun as cheating. Oklahoma expressly forbids slingshots for dove as well.

Last edited by AlongCameJones; 10-31-2021 at 01:21 PM.