HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - I'm now having a dialog with a certain OK game warden via email: dove death by Gamo
Old 10-31-2021, 03:21 AM
Father Forkhorn
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by AlongCameJones
I will try to go to bat for all Oklahomans longing to take doves via air rifle. I will need to formulate a sound argument for my cause to the game-regs czars of my state. I will have to harp on all the virtues of air gunning. Oklahoma does allow archery equipment for dove already so the argument that others can't hear the weapon discharge out of safety concerns is not valid.
This is commendable and to be encouraged. One word of advice: don't overwhelm the game warden except with the most necessary questions. I'd focus on this: what would be the process of getting the regs changed? Who would need to be contacted, lobbied, etc.? Then it's a matter of developing a successful strategy to convince them.

I would imagine a you'd need a big petition and work to forge alliances with Oklahoma hunting groups and associations, air-gunning groups, maybe even environmental groups that recognize the problem of an invasive species, etc. I could see you and others working with you renting tables at outdoor shows, gun shows, shooting ranges, etc.

I'd also focus less on the noise argument. Most people will be worried most of all about safety, or be saying this will lead to shooting native mourning doves or plinking birds off power lines.

Last edited by Father Forkhorn; 10-31-2021 at 05:13 AM.