HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - bullet performance post
View Single Post
Old 12-06-2003, 01:59 PM
speyrjb
Fork Horn

Default RE: bullet performance post

I'm not sure I'm justified in feeling this way but this is my 2 cents.

I like it more when the bullet doesn't exit and this is why. I mainly shoot 3 calibers at whitetail - 22-250, .270 win, and .22 hornet. With the .270 I shoot a 130 gr Nosler spitzer BT loaded to about 2800fps. I always centerpunch the sholder and the bullet never exits. I don't lose much meat, suprisingly little on the front shoulder but because the bullet doesn't exit, I lose none on the back shoulder. When I field dress the deer, the chest cavity looks like it went through a blender. Heart, lungs, everything just decimated and the deer have never, I repeat, never ran off. Every one have dropped in thier tracks. Now the reason I like it when the bullet doesn't exit is because when a bullet exits, the animal doesn't absorb all of the energy of the impact. Some is lost when the bullet exits. When the bullet doesn't exit, the animal absorbs every bit of the knock down power of the caliber and therefore are much less likely to run.

I shoot a 52 gr Horady BTHP in the 22-250 and a 40 gr Sierra HP Varmiter in the 22 hornet. Both of these I take neck shots and the bullet always explodes on the neck bone and doesn't exit. And again, the animal goes absolutely no where.

So long story short, I prefer a bullet that doesn't exit as opposed to a bullet that will.

Anyways, alot of different opinions out there. This is just mine.